This tasty veggie salsa verde enchiladas with cannellini beans and spinach is a firm favourite with adults and kids alike. It takes about 30 to 40 minutes to cook and serves two.
1 to 2 cups of grated sharp white cheddar
1 lb tomatillos, peeled, washed and finely chopped
3 radishes, washed and thinly sliced
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped (leaves and stems separately)
Packet baby spinach, washed and finely chopped
1 jalapeño, deseeded and finely chopped
Can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
4 scallions, thinly sliced
Packet vegetable broth concentrate
6 to 8 yellow corn tortillas
Vegetable or safflower oil
Freshly ground pepper
1 tsp lime
1. Preheat oven to 425F / 218C. Finely chop one tortilla and place in a bowl. Add three tablespoons of boiling water and stir. Let stand for five minutes.
2. To make the enchilada sauce, heat some oil in a pan. Add tomatillos and cook for five minutes. Add one cup of water and vegetable broth, and bring to a boil. Cook for seven minutes until slightly reduced. Stir in chopped tortilla and simmer until thickened. Season with salt.
3. For the filling, heat tortillas in the oven until pliable. In a bowl, mix half a cup of cheese with beans, spinach, cilantro stems and half of each scallions and cilantro leaves. Add half or all of the jalapeño, season and stir, lightly mashing the beans.
4. For the enchiladas, grease an oven dish. Spread some enchilada sauce on the bottom. Spoon half a cup of filling into each tortilla. Roll up and place in baking dish, seam side down. Pour remaining sauce over enchiladas and sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes.
5. For the radish slaw, mix radishes with lime juice and one teaspoon of oil. Add remaining scallions and cilantro. Season and serve.
Recipe by Anna Painter / Image by food box service Marley Spoon