This halloumi, tomato and black rice salad makes a nourishing lunch that is deliciously tangy, sweet and salty at once. A Middle Eastern (Israel) cuisine, it serves two and takes 40 minutes to prepare.
80g black rice
1 garlic clove, peeled and grated
225g cypriot halloumi, cut into cubes
50g wild rocket
30g blanched almonds
250g cherry tomatoes, sliced in halves
1 tbsp pomegranate molasses
1 spring onion, finely chopped
10g mint leaves, roughly chopped
Olive oil, pepper, salt, sugar, vegetable oil
1. Preheat oven to 160C (140C fan) / 350F/ Gas 4. Place cherry tomatoes on baking tray and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and one tablespoon of sugar. Bake in oven for 40 minutes or until they start to wrinkle.
2. Cook black rice over a high heat for 30 minutes or until tender (it will still have a slight bite to it when cooked). Drain and rinse under cold water until cooled. Return to the (cooled) pan and set aside.
3. Place almonds on a baking tray and bake in oven for five minutes or until toasted. Set aside and cool before chopping roughly.
4. Combine the pomegranate molasses, garlic, one teaspoon of sugar, splash of warm water and a generous drizzle of olive oil in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. This is your pomegranate molasses dressing.
5. Heat a drizzle of vegetable oil over a medium heat. Add halloumi and cook for three to five minutes or until golden, turning occasionally. Set aside until ready to serve.
6. Add pomegranate molasses dressing, spring onion and mint to the rice pan and give everything a good mix. Wash and dry the wild rocket then gently tumble it through the black rice. Serve the fried halloumi cubes and roasted tomatoes over the rocket and black rice salad. Garnish with toasted almonds.
Recipe and image by food box service Gousto.co.uk