From how to apply mascara to simple night-time beauty, Oscar winner and Lancôme ambassador Kate Winslet shares the top five beauty secrets behind her low-key skincare routine.
1. Use a light foundation: “I don’t like anything too heavy especially round the eyes where makeup can gather and make a person look older. I prefer a light base and stick to Teint Idole Ultra Wear Foundation in 01 and a Camouflage Concealer from the same range.”
2. Define the eyes: “I hit the lashes with a great mascara (Lancôme Grandiôse Mascara in Noir), applying it inside the root line on the upper lashes with flat-ended brush. It makes the whites of the eyes seem whiter and keeps the lids from appearing too heavy. I finish with a smudge of eyeliner on the lower lash root only (Le Khol Duo in Brun Glace 02).”
3. Lips with staying power: “For lips I would need something that will stay put but be creamy at the same time. For a red I’d favour Lancôme Isabella. For something subtler I’d opt for Lancôme Nuit et Jour (pale nude, pinkish undertone).”
4. Invest in quality brushes: “Having decent makeup brushes makes a big difference to the end result, I even use paint brushes sometimes!” She avoids looking too matte by blending in her favourite soft blusher (Blush Subtil in Rose Paradis) for “a long-lasting, gentle glow”.
5. Care for your skin: “At night, I always take my makeup off no matter how tired I am. I use Tracie Martyn Amla Purifying Cleanser. It’s very fresh and gently scented.” To combat dry skin, she uses an old favourite (Lancôme Toner Comfort) which she slathers up with Advanced Genefique Sensitive. “It combines two serum concentrates with a vitamin E boost, all in one bottle. Shake, slather, done. It’s really hydrating and fresh and fast to use. All of this takes me about three minutes.”
Kate’s off-duty look can be achieved in five-minute or less. “I use the thinnest-of-thin-layers of foundation and curl my lashes out of habit more than anything (Shu Uemura curlers). I finish with a bit of lip balm (By Terry’s Baume de Rose).” And her top tip?: “Drink lots of water and avoiding salt and alcohol.”